1/15/19 – I am now represented in Cleveland by The Bonfoey Gallery. If you’re interested in viewing my latest series, Studies for Simple Machines, please contact the gallery. Thank you to Bonfoey for extending the opportunity for my work to have a more public home in Northeast Ohio.
12/13/19 – I’ll be attending a month long residency in the Spring at the Vermont Studio Center (VSC) thanks in part to an artist merit grant awarded by the VSC.
11/15/19 – I’m happy to share that 3 pieces from my Studies for Simple Machines series that were included in the A Day in the Life exhibit at Yards Project have found a permanent home within the Dalad Collection. Many thanks to both Liz Maugans & to the Dalad Group for their support.
11/3/19 – I am currently working on a new series based off the studies recently exhibited at Yards Project and Link Art Gallery. Check back here or on my Instagram or Facebook pages for updates.
6/4/19 – I am pleased to announce I’ve accepted invitations to exhibit in 2 shows this Fall:
Check back for more details.
4/2018 – Congratulations to those selected for BAYarts Annual Juried Show which myself & Bellamy Printz juried. We had over 300 entries & chose 52. Thank you to BAYarts for asking me to participate & to those of you who introduced yourself to me the night of the show.
Regarding my own artwork, I am currently working on getting my home studio set up after a short break following my MFA. Stay tuned…
12/19/2017 – My thesis has been published which means I have officially graduated with a MFA in Drawing from Kent State University. I’d like to thank my family, friends & colleagues for their support during this challenging yet rewarding journey. Follow me on Instagram for updates as I progress through this next chapter of my career.
11/5/17 – I am happy to announce that I successfully defended my MFA Thesis & pending the final draft of my paper, I will be awarded an MFA in Drawing from Kent State University at the end of this semester.
9/12/17 – My MFA Thesis show at Kent State University will be on view during the first week of November.
3/31/17 – I’ve been invited to participate in the SPACES Monster Drawing Rally on Saturday, April 22. I’ll be drawing from 7-8pm.
9/3/2015 – Fall semester has just begun for my 2nd year in the MFA program at Kent as I continue exploring a new body of work. If you’re interested in keeping up with it, I’ll be posting my progress on Facebook (jasonkmilburn) and Instagram (@jasonkmilburn).
4/6/2016 – More from my upcoming show w/ Laila Voss entitled Locus of Transition: Works by Jason Milburn and Laila Voss at ARTNeo can now be found on their website.
3/19/2016 – Grad school is going well & I’m taking full advantage of being surrounded by the talented faculty at Kent State & of the resources the school offers – like their print room – to explore a few new techniques. I’ve also been spending a good deal of time in the studio working on a few new series that I’m looking forward to showing everyone soon.
A few events/shows I’ll be participating in during the coming months:
- Sat., April 16 – Thank you to SPACES for inviting me to participate for my 3rd year in a row to the Monster Drawing Rally. I’ll be drawing live from 7-8pm.
- July 2016 – During ARTNeo’s 2015 juried exhibition, Cleveland Creates, I was awarded the 2nd place prize of a joint show with Laila Voss. That show will take place this Summer at ARTNeo. I’ll be sharing updates on both the series that will be up during this show & details on the show itself here on my website & on my Facebook page. This series is very personal to myself & to my family & I hope you’ll come out for it.
11/13/2015 – I’m participating in a few shows in the coming months that I’d like to share with you:
- 7th Annual Drawing Discourse. This international juried exhibition had 908 entries, submitted by 307 artists from 7 countries. Juror Edgar Jerins chose 43 pieces to participate in the exhibition & I am thankful to both him & to the University for choosing my drawing, Three Customers and a Cashier, to be one of them. The opening reception will be January 15, 2016 from 6-8 p.m at the S. Tucker Cooke Gallery in Owen Hall at the University of North Carolina Asheville.
- Juntos. I’ll have 2 pieces in this show curated by Dante Rodriguez. A portion of each sale will go towards the Museum of Hispanic & Latino Cultures to help establish a permanent home.
- Works on Paper. Curated by Lauren Davies, this show will be at 2731 Prospect Gallery and will open on December 11, 2015 from 6-9 pm and will run until February 5, 2016.
10/9/2015 – I’m back home in Ohio after a productive summer in Provincetown, MA at the Fine Arts Work Center courtesy of the Ohio Arts Council. My gallery page now includes the series I completed while in Provincetown. You can also read my post-residency write-up here.
I’ve also started my first year of grad school in the MFA drawing program at Kent State University & will be posting updates on exhibits and group shows I’m included in soon.
7/23/2015 – My residency at the Fine Arts Work Center (FAWC) in Provincetown, MA is going well & has been productive. I’m working on a new series that will be debuted during my solo exhibition at the FAWC on August 21. I’ve also created some new prints, have taken some life drawing classes & am getting ready to take part in my second workshop. I will post photos of the experience at a later date.
5/31/2015 – I have 2 exciting things to share with this update:
1) I have to thank the Ohio Arts Council again for selecting me to participate in a residency at the Fine Arts Work Center (FAWC) in Provincetown, MA this summer. I’ll be fortunate enough to participate in a few workshops during my stay as well as work on a new series for a solo exhibition that will be held at the FAWC in August.
2) I’ve been accepted into Kent State University’s MFA program & offered an assistantship. I will be enrolled in the Fall & will be studying drawing & printmaking.
I’m excited for the road ahead & thankful to everyone for their support.
4/17/2015 – I am very excited to announce that I have been awarded one of the Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence Awards for FY2015. Thank you to both the OAC Board & to Ohio legislators for their support of funding for the arts through the Ohio Arts Council. This is an incredible honor that will help tremendously in the advancement of my career as a professional artist.
4/3/2015 – Thank you to jurors Liz Maugans & William Busta for selecting my piece “Is This Your Card?” for the The Morgan Conservatory‘s upcoming exhibition, [re]define. Opening Reception: April 16th 7-9pm. Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/813629772044923/
3/30/2015 – I’m thankful to announce that my piece, Sight, has been accepted into the 92nd Annual Spring Show at the Erie Art Museum. The show was juried by Jo Farb Hernández, Director of the Thompson Art Gallery and Professor in the Department of Art and Art History at San José State University; she also serves as Director of SPACES – Saving and Preserving Arts and Cultural Environments—a nonprofit archives documenting art environments and self-taught artists. According to the museum’s Facebook page, 91 pieces were selected out of 624 entered. The public opening is April 26 from 1-3pm & the show will be up until July 5.
3/18/2015 – I’ll be live drawing at this year’s Monster Drawing Rally at SPACES Saturday, April 11, 2015. More details will be posted as they become available.
2/1/2015 – I just learned my drawing, Hearing, from my most recent series, The Senses, has been awarded 2nd place in the ARTneo Cleveland Creates juried exhibition. Jurors were SPACES Executive Director, Christina Vassallo, Gallery Owner & local artist, Loren Naji, and Forbes, Fields & Associates Co., L.P.A partner Helen Forbes Fields.
As part of the second place prize, I will have 2 pieces included in the Cleveland Creates exhibition that runs from February 20 – April 19 at ARTNeo in the 78th Street Studios building. ARTNeo will also be sponsoring myself & another artist in a future 2-person exhibition.
I’d like to personally thank ARTNeo & the jurors for giving me this great opportunity.
1/16/2015 – I’m happy to announce I’ve just been asked to hold a show at the William Busta Gallery from May 1 – May 30. More details to come as they become available.
1/11/2015 – Congratulations to William Busta on his recent retirement announcement. I would like to say thank you for his advice and giving me the opportunity to show my work in his gallery the last few years.
9/24/2014 – The “19” Invitational opening reception, curated by Dana Depew, will take place from 6pm – 9pm on November 7 at the Red Space Gallery on 2400 Superior Ave. in Cleveland, OH. Participating artists, including myself, are: Tom Bartel, Lissa Bockrath, Jeffry Chiplis, Ron Copeland, Matthew Dibble, Scott Goss, Brandon Juhasz, Mark Keffer, Michael Loderstedt, Doug Meyer, Dana Oldfather, Jenniffer Omaitz, Edward Raffel, Eric Rippert, Dan Tranberg, Mark Slankard, Grace Summanen & Laila Voss. Join the Facebook event to keep up-to-date on the show.
9/7/2014 – I’ve been invited to participate in a group show curated by Dana Depew titled (19). The opening reception will be on Friday, November 7. More details to come as they become available.
8/22/2014 – I just accepted an invitation to participate in the annual SPACES benefit titled Optical Delusions: Last days on the Viaduct. The benefit will be held on November 1, 2014 from 7pm – 1am & is curated by Per Knutås, Christopher Lynn, Alex Tapie and Christina Vassallo. Details about the benefit can be found here: http://www.spacesgallery.org/events/optical-delusions-last-days-on-the-viaduct-11-01-2014
8/15/2014 – Some works from my upcoming show, Home, can be viewed in the online gallery.
7/21/2014 – My drawing, I’m still a thief, (cover image for my website) will be auctioned off at the upcoming CAN Journal benefit this Friday, July 25. Tickets for the benefit can be purchased here: http://canjournal.org/2014benefit.
7/6/2014 – Fellow Cleveland artist, Dexter Davis & I will be featured in the Fall issue of the CAN Journal for our upcoming collaborative show, Home, at the William Busta Gallery. The opening reception will be held on September 5, 2014.
Bellamy Printz, printmaker & co-founder of Zygote Press, will also have a solo show at the art gallery on the same night.
2/21/2014 – I will have 3 pieces at the Northern Ohio Art Dealers Association ARTExpo 2014 on March 14, 15, & 16 via the William Busta Gallery.
The pieces that will be available are:
- And His Hair Was Perfect
- Barroom Brawl (I saw her first, you little pipsqueak.)
- If there’s no atmosphere then why is the flag waving? It’s saying hello from the moon..
11/10/2013 – I’m currently working on 2 new series for upcoming shows at the William Busta Gallery.
On September 5, 2014, the gallery will showcase a collaborative project between myself & fellow Cleveland artist, Dexter Davis. Dexter’s piece, Black Heads was recently acquired by the Cleveland Museum of Art.
In 2015, my second solo exhibition will be at the gallery.
Check back at this website or at the Jason K. Milburn Art Studio Facebook page for updates on both shows.
11/7/2013 – I have 2 upcoming events for the month of December:
- Invitational Zygote Press Monothon – 11 artists have been invited to participate in Zygote Press’s 2013 Monothon. During the Monothon, each artist will create prints from their original artwork. Prints from the Monothon will be on sale during Zygote’s annual Holiday Show on December 7. In addition to myself, this year’s participating artists are: Gina DeSantis, Brandon Juhasz, Kasumi, Susan Kelley, Irina Koukhanova, Erik Neff, Scott Pickering, Deborah Pinter, Lauren Sammon, and Judy Takacs.
- Holiday Open Studio – December 7 from 10a – 6p. New finished & unfinished work will be on display. Free on & off-street parking is available.
9/7/2013 – Check out my work, “Barroom Brawl (I saw her first, you little pipsqueak.)”, at the Cleveland Museum of Art’s Staff Show. The show is free & open to the public & runs through December.
8/1/2013 – Two of my recent works, Elderly Woman Waiting for the Shoe to Drop & Camouflage, were just accepted into the inaugural juried exhibition RAGS MAKE PAPER at the Morgan Conservatory. Of the 200 pieces submitted for consideration, 100 were selected for the show. Jurors for the exhibition were Bruce Checefsky & Robert Thurmer. Opening night is August 9 from 7-9.
6/30/2013 – I donated my mixed media drawing, Kiss the CAN Opener, to the Collective Arts Network (CAN) Journal’s Y2CAN Benefit. The drawing was also chosen for the Cleveland Scene’s article, Yes We Can.
On the evening of the Y2CAN benefit, artwork could be purchased at full value during the first hour. After the first hour, patrons could purchase lottery tickets for a chance to win any pieces still available. A silent auction was also held where goods and services, generously donated by local businesses & artists, could be bid on.
My piece was purchased during the first hour & my portrait service was bid on meaning 100% of the proceeds of both will go towards sustaining the CAN Journal through its second year & beyond.
6/7/2013 – I will have work on display & available for purchase at 3 events tonight:
- Ohio City’s Artisan First Friday – at the Old Angle Tavern from 4-11pm (including the piece, I gave a lot of blood but no plasma). Special thanks to the William Busta Gallery for loaning a few of my works to the event. Join the Facebook event.
- Arts Collinwood Annual Members’ Show – One of my larger pieces was accepted to this event at the Arts Collinwood Gallery. Opening reception is from 6-9pm. The show runs through June 29. Join the Facebook event.
- William Busta Gallery – Come by tonight from 5-9pm to celebrate opening night for Kristen Cliffel, Laila Voss, & Trudy Wiesenberger. You’ll also get a chance to see some work from my previous show at the gallery, Off the Studio Floor.
5/19/2013 – My work, He was Packed for the Voyage Home was accepted into the 4th Annual May Show at Lakeland Juried Art Exhibition. Gallery Coordinator, Mary Urbas, reported that over 400 works entered and only 89 were accepted into the exhibit.
Jurors, Liz Maugans and Matthew Dibble, based the acceptance criteria on (among other things): “Is the artist accomplished in the chosen media?”, “What does this work ‘say’?”, “Is it innovative?”, “How does the submitted work compare to other submissions of the same media, genre, etc.?”.
The exhibit runs through July 29, 2013.
The exhibit was so well received that selected works from it will be on display again at the gallery in June. Says Busta, “I’m impressed by the heart and the intelligence of this work.” Read the full statement